First steps and Enrollment
Before you can begin your studies, you must first enrol at the International Students Office.
First steps at KIT
Welcome to KIT!
New surroundings, new culture and a new language – those are a lot new impressions which you, as a new student at KIT, will have to handle.
In order to make your start as easy as possible, on the following pages we have brought together information about enrollment at KIT, necessary visits to local authorities, insurance, etc. Should you have any questions or queries, do not hesitate to get in touch with us. Make a phone call or come over the International Students Office.
This is a short list of the most important things you should do on arrival to Karlsruhe:
- register at the City of Karlsruhe
- open a bank account
- register for a German health insurance or obtain a insurance waiver at a German health insurance
- pay the semester contribution (in case your have not done that from back home)
- enroll at KIT
- apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office in Karlsruhe (in case you need a residence permit)
Enrollment at KIT for international Bachelor and Master Students
1.Personal enrollment for the summer term 2021 from 15th March to 9th April, only possible online
With your admission you are entitled to obtain a place to study. Due to the corona situation we are not able to offer enrollment in person. Please contact your official in charge by email and send her the documents for enrollment, attached as pdf. You will find the name of your official in charge in the application portal or here. When we have opening hours again, please take an appointment in our office to show the originals.
If you come to Germany please take note of the entrance regulations for entering in Germany and for your stay in Karlsruhe. Further information on entering Germany from risk areas below.
For enrollment you will need to send these documents by email:
- Identity card or passport
- If you are in Germany or if you arrive in Germany: Valid visa with entry stamp OR residence title (eAT) with additional sheet or probationary permit
- If you are in Germany or if you arrive in Germany: Health insurance certificate – You need to have a health insurance coverage from a German public health insurance before enrolment. You can apply online. For enrolment you need the three-fold-form from your health insurance.
- Certificate of payment of the semester charge and tuition fees Completed and signed application for enrollment
- School or Bachelor certificate and transcript
- Exmatriculation certificate, if you were enrolled at a German university before
- Language proficiency certificate
2. Information on Entering Germany and Quarantine Regulations
If you come to Germany from a risk area, you will first be obliged to self-isolate at home for 10 days. Please check the newest information to enter in Germany and the newest list of risk areas from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) page: https://www.rki.de/EN/
Please also note the information on the following websites:
- KIT Corona FAQ: https://www.kit.edu/kit/english/25911.php
- Information of the Foreign Office: https://www.auswaertigesamt.de/en
- Questions and answers of the Federal Ministry of the Interior: https://www.bmi.bund.de/EN/home/home_node.html
- Federal Health Ministry: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/en.html
- CoronaPortal of the City of Karlsruhe: https://corona.karlsruhe.de/ (in German)
- Information of the district of Karlsruhe: https://www.landkreiskarlsruhe.de/Service-Verwaltung/Verwaltung/Dezernate-%C3%84mter/Recht-Ordnung/Gesundheitsamt/Coronavirus.php?object=tx%7C3051.5&ModID=7&FID=3051.2453.1&NavID=1863.87&La=1 (in German)
In addition, we recommend to use the Corona warning app in Germany: https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-en/issues