First steps and Enrollment
Before you can begin your studies, you must first enrol at the International Students Office.
First steps at KIT
Welcome to KIT!
New surroundings, new culture and a new language – those are a lot new impressions which you, as a new student at KIT, will have to handle.
In order to make your start as easy as possible, on the following pages we have brought together information about enrollment at KIT, necessary visits to local authorities, insurance, etc. Should you have any questions or queries, do not hesitate to get in touch with us. Make a phone call or come over the International Students Office.
This is a short list of the most important things you should do on arrival to Karlsruhe:
- register at the City of Karlsruhe
- open a bank account
- register for a German health insurance or obtain a insurance waiver at a German health insurance
- pay the semester contribution (in case your have not done that from back home)
- enroll at KIT
- apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners' Registration Office in Karlsruhe (in case you need a residence permit)
Enrollment at KIT for international Bachelor and Master Students
1. Enrollment for the winter term 2022/23
With your admission you are entitled to obtain a place to study. Enrollment will most probably be done without the need of personal presence.
If you come to Germany please take note of the entrance regulations for entering in Germany and for your stay in Karlsruhe. Further information on entering Germany from risk areas below.
You have to apply for enrollment in the application portal.
- Afterwards, upload all required documents in the application portal for this purpose and provide us with the required information.
- Please note the explanations on the respective page.
The following conditions must be met for enrollment:
- You have public or private health insurance. Provide the appropriate information in the portal. If you are a member of a private health insurance, indicate "exempt". If you are a member of a statutory health insurance, enter the required information.
- Pay the fees. The "SEPA Direct Debit Mandate" function only works with accounts within the EU. If you are transferring from an account in the rest of the world, please refer to the information in the fee notice. Please make sure that the fees are received in full on the KIT account (note bank charges and expenses!). If you transfer from your account from abroad, please send your clerk the proof additionally by email.
- Upload your current visa or residence permit with additional sheet.
- The Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung is required for previous studies in Germany. If you have not studied in Germany before, you can also upload your Bachelor degree for previous studies abroad. If you have completed your bachelor's degree at KIT and are applying for transfer to a master's program, follow these instructions: https://www.sle.kit.edu/vorstudium/studienbewerbung-intern.php
- You will also need to upload your language certificate for enrollment again.
- Under "Appointment at the International Students Office" you will find a link with further information on enrollment and the optional possibility to make a personal appointment with your official in charge.
- As a final step, please submit your enrollment application via the "Submit Enrollment Application" button.
Additionally, please email your official in charge with the following documents:
- Proof of payment of the fees, if you paid the fees by bank transfer.
- Application for enrollment to check the data (pdf).
2. Information on Entering Germany and Quarantine Regulations
Please check the newest information to enter in Germany and the newest list of risk areas from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) page: https://www.rki.de/EN/
Please also note the information on the following websites:
- KIT Corona FAQ: https://www.kit.edu/kit/english/25911.php
- Information of the Foreign Office: https://www.auswaertigesamt.de/en
- Questions and answers of the Federal Ministry of the Interior: https://www.bmi.bund.de/EN/home/home_node.html
- Federal Health Ministry: https://www.bundesgesundheitsministerium.de/en/en.html
- CoronaPortal of the City of Karlsruhe: https://corona.karlsruhe.de/ (in German)
- Information of the district of Karlsruhe: https://www.landkreiskarlsruhe.de/Service-Verwaltung/Verwaltung/Dezernate-%C3%84mter/Recht-Ordnung/Gesundheitsamt/Coronavirus.php?object=tx%7C3051.5&ModID=7&FID=3051.2453.1&NavID=1863.87&La=1 (in German)
In addition, we recommend to use the Corona warning app in Germany: https://www.bundesregierung.de/breg-en/issues