First steps and Enrollment
Before you can begin your studies, you must first enrol at the International Students Office.
Enrollment at KIT for international Bachelor and Master Students
Enrollment at KIT for Bachelor or Master studies
With your admission you are entitled to a study place. The enrollment takes place without an obligatory personal interview. Students who are already enrolled in the bachelor program at KIT, please contact your official in charge (as stated in the application portal).
You have to apply for enrollment in the application portal.
- Afterwards, upload all required documents in the application portal for this purpose and provide us with the required information.
- Please note the explanations on the respective page.
How to apply for enrollment:
- You must apply for enrollment before the enrollment deadline. Open the application for the subject for which you have been admitted and click on "Apply for enrollment". Confirm this by confirming the dialog "I apply for enrollment" in the new window: Click on "Accept." This will secure your place at the university. This step is absolutely necessary, even if you are not yet able to submit all enrollment documents directly. If you do not do so before the enrollment deadline, your study place will expire.
The following conditions must be met for enrollment:
- Health insurance information:
You must have health insurance during your studies. If you are already a member of a statutory health insurance, please enter your corresponding data. If you only have provisional statutory health insurance, please enter "exempt" as your insurance status. However, for all persons, a health insurance company must submit an M10 notification to KIT. You can also enter this data later, when you have proper health insurance. After all, you have already started the enrollment process. With this your place is secured.
Students from EU countries and from Switzerland, who have a European Health Insurance, have to send the EHIC card and the admission letter to a public health insurance (AOK, TK, DAK, BARMER etc.. - the contact details can be found further down on this page).
Please note that you can only use the Fees section ("SEPA-Mandat") if you already have a bank account in Germany. If that is the case, you can create a SEPA mandate here. If you do not yet have an account in Germany, please refer to the information in the fee notice for transferring the fees due. KIT does not issue a confirmation of the receipt of fees. The receipt of fees will be checked when you have submitted the enrollment application. You can be enrolled only if you have transferred the fees to KIT's account in time.
- Matriculation documents:
On this page you will find a list of documents that you must submit with your enrollment application. Upload the respective documents as PDF. You will find an explanation of the required documents to the right of each document. You will not be able to submit the enrollment application without the respective documents. A note on the exmatriculation certificate: If you do not have a certificate of exmatriculation, please upload your transcript/grading transcript from your previous studies here.
Upload the form: Application for Enrollment. Use the "New" button in the "Enrollment at IStO" section to do this. Also upload a proof of the transfer of the fees.
If you do not yet have an address in Germany, leave the Address field on the Application for Enrollment blank. You must change your address in the Campus Portal after enrollment.
- Finalize enrollment application
You can navigate to this item at any time. Missing documents will be displayed on this page. Only after you have uploaded all documents, you can complete the enrollment application. To do this, you must then click on the "Submit enrollment application" button.
Videotutorial "Enrollment at KIT for international students" (in German)
Notes on documents:
- You must have health insurance coverage for the duration of your studies. Either you become a member of a statutory health insurance or you have private health insurance and have the insurance coverage confirmed by a statutory health insurance. You can apply for membership online with many health insurance companies. For enrollment, it is necessary that the health insurance company electronically transmits "Meldegrund 10 für das Karlsruher Institut für Technologie" to KIT. Here is a selection of public health insurances without claiming to be complete:
- Upload a remittance slip or other proof of payment for the semester fee and tuition.
- Please complete page 1 from the application for enrollment.
- If you received your Bachelor's degree documents between the time of application and now, please upload a scan of those as well. If you have already submitted graduation documents with your application, this is not necessary.
- If you have reached the required language level between the time of application and now, please upload a scan from the language certificate. If you have already submitted the document with your application, this is not necessary.
Note for students who have completed their Bachelor's degree at KIT and will now continue their studies at KIT in the Master's program.
You will need the following documents for enrollment:
- Exmatriculation form with stamp from the faculty
- Certificate of title
- Proof of payment, if not already re-registered
- Current proof of health insurance (notification M10)
Enrollment for international PhD students
To enroll at KIT, please send the following documents to the official person in charge of your country:
- This registration form, filled by you
- Your bachelor and Master degree with transcript of records and translation if not in English or German language. If you have ever been registered at another German university: letter of de-registration (Exmatrikulationbescheinigung) from that university
- Official letter of acceptance from the dean of the respective KIT department
Please contact the official in charge of your country directly with the documents.