The first few days after your arrival in Germany are exciting and there is a lot to take care of, including some important formalities. The IScO advice and support team will be happy to help you keep track of everything.

The most important steps are listed in this summary.


  IMPORTANT: Registration at the Residents' Registration Office
Registration is mandatory in Germany. Anyone moving to or within Germany must register their address with the local Residents' Registration Offices (Einwohnermeldeamt) within 14 days of moving in.  Depending on where you live in the Karlsruhe area, you will need to register at one of the following Residents' Registration Offices:
- City Area of Karlsruhe (only in German)
- Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen (only in German)
- Linkenheim-Hochstetten (only in German)
- Stutensee (only in German)

In general, the following documents are required for registration:
1. Passport or ID card
2. Certificate of residence (signed and issued by the landlord)
3. Registration form (available on the respective website and also on site)
After your registration has been processed by the authorities, you will be issued with a "Meldebescheinigung".
Please keep this document in a safe place, as it will be needed to open a bank account or apply for a residence permit, among other things!
IMPORTANT: If you move abroad and leave Germany permanently, you must deregister from the Citizens' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt)! Please fill in the deregistration form and hand it in at your local Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt).
General information on the obligation to register your place of residence can be found on Euraxess Germany.
  Residence Permit / EU Blue Card

As a third-country national, you must apply for a residence permit before your visa expires if you intend to stay in Germany for a longer period of time. Please note that there may be longer lead times, so submit your application early and contact the ISCO early if you would like advice. 

General information and advice on the Residence Permit or EU Blue Card can be found on Euraxess Germany.
  Bank Account
If you are staying in Germany for a long time, receive a regular salary or scholarship and have to pay rent, it is advisable to open a current account with a bank as soon as possible after your arrival. You will need your passport or identity card and a registration certificate from the Residents' Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt).
General information on banks in Germany can be found on Euraxess Germany
  First Steps at KIT
Visting Scientists: Your host institute will approach you to conclude a Visiting Scientist Agreement. This is necessary so that you can safely use the infrastructure at KIT and the institute.
Visiting Scientists receive a KIT Guest and Partner e-mail account from their host institute and a KIT guest card.  
International researchers with an employment contract at KIT receive an employee ID card. To do so, please upload a photo to the SCC Self-Service Portal. As soon as your ID card is ready, you will receive a notification via your KIT e-mail address when you can collect it from the Registration Desk.
For new employees at KIT, the SCC has put together information on how to configure the KIT account. PSE provides information about the subsidy for the Deutschlandticket Job
  Social Events
KIT offers a range of joint activities for and with international researchers, such as excursions and information events. Information and registration options can be found in the monthly IScO newsletter.
Doctoral candidates and early-stage postdocs can find further offers in the KHYS calendar of events.
All events at KIT can be found in the KIT events calendar
  Living in Karlsruhe
Karlsruhe and the surrounding area offer attractive leisure activities. Browse our pages on living and learning in Karlsruhe, sport and culture, and mobility.
  Language Courses German as a Foreign Language

There are many opportunities to learn German in Karlsruhe.

Some courses, such as those offered by the Studienkolleg at KIT, are in high demand. We therefore recommend registering early for a place on a course.
You can find an overview of possible courses in the Karlsruhe area in the German as a Foreign Language Information Sheet.