Application Requirements

In order to apply as a visiting student at KIT,

  • you must be enrolled at one of KIT’s partner institutions and be nominated by your home university to study at KIT. This means that you should consult the exchange coordinator at your home university in order to determine your eligibility for the exchange program. If selected, your coordinator nominates you for KIT.
  • or you must be selected in one of the DAAD scholarship programs.
  • or you apply as a Free Mover.
Dates and Deadlines

Language Requirements

  • As an exchange or DAAD student, you need to have successfully reached A2-level in German (recommended: B1) at the time of application (i.e. on May 1 st / November 1 st )
  • as an exchange student or DAAD student of the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Architecture, Computer Science, Chemistry and Biosciences, Chemical and Process Engineering, you need to have successfully reached B1-level in German at the time of application (i.e. on May 1st / November 1st )
  • as a Free Mover, you need to have successfully reached B2-level in German at the time of application (i.e. on May 1 st / November 1st )

Please note that to have successfully reached A2/B1/B2 level in German (way stage/elementary) means that you have successfully followed an A2/B1/B2 level German course (i.e. you are already studying for B1/B2/C1). 

In exceptional cases, exchange students (not DAAD or Free Mover students) might be allowed to study at KIT only with proof of intermediate English knowledge (at least B2), if:

  • you are a student at the departments of Mechanical Engineering or Economics and Management and if you have chosen only English-taught lectures for your study plan.
  • you are writing a project or final thesis at KIT and your supervisor at KIT has agreed to accept you without proof of German knowledge.

However, without proof of German language we might reject your application and we highly recommend that you learn German in order to master daily life in Karlsruhe. You can test your language skills with the available test. We accept most types of German language certificates except simple language course attendance certificates that do not state whether or not you completed the course successfully.

Your certificate should clearly show

  • either the German level you have reached. 
  • or that you have successfully participated in a language class of that level
Gelsomina Di Laurenzio

Coordination Incoming Overseas Students (Exchange, DAAD-Scholarship Programs, Free Mover)

Office Hours: By appointment  

Room: 001, Building 50.20, CS

Tel.: +49 721 608-44919

overseas-inYel0∂intl kit edu