Before you leave

There are a few things you should remember before leaving Karlsruhe.

You should notify the city of Karlsruhe that you are giving up your room: This can be done online. It is possible from one week before leaving until two weeks afterwards.

In order to do this open “Formulare” and select the first form “Abmeldung Wohnsitz bei der Meldebehörde”. An online form will open which you need to fill in. Unfortunately, this is only possible in German. At the end you will get a PDF with your filled in Data. You need to sign this document and send it along with a copy of your passport and your residence permit (“Aufenthaltstitel”) to the public office (“Bürgerbüro”) corresponding to your residence. This can be done via post or E-Mail.

You will find a list of the offices on the initial page under “zuständig”, where you can select one and then find its contact possibilities, like address or mail address. 


You should also notify your German health insurance provider, so that you don’t have to pay the extra insurance anymore. This should be done a few days before you leave.

Did you know KIT has an Alumni Network? You can register here to stay in touch with further former KIT students.