FAQs on Application and Admission at KIT

Which study courses are being offered at KIT?

At our university these courses are taught in English.
Here you can find a list of all courses KIT.

What is the application procedure?

Please fill in the application form, which you will find on our website. The application is online and the required documents should be uploaded in the application page. Please follow further instructions. For more details and for the latest information, please check your personal application inbox.

What is my application status?

In order to check the present status of your application, please check the application page and your personal application inbox respectively.

What are the deadlines?

  Summer term Winter term
Bachelor with NC and without NC:  January, 15th (only HS)*        July, 15th
Preparatory Course (Studienkolleg): January, 15th July, 15th
German Language Course (preparatory course, 1 semester): January, 15th July, 15th
Master with NC (restricted admission): January, 15th July, 15th
Master without NC: March, 31th September, 30th
Master Water Science and Engineering (application from 1st November): November, 30th  June, 15th
Master Remote Sensing and Geoinformatics (application from 1st November):

December, 15th 

June, 15th

*HS = higher semester

Which specific documents are required in case of an application for a Master’s program?

For master applications, please provide the description of every subject in your Bachelor program (hours per semester or per week and a short description of the subject) and/or a module handbook. Here you can find more information about the necessary documents for the different master programs.

What are the tuition fees?

Students must pay the administrative and student services contribution of 151.20 Euro per Semester. Since winter term 2017-2018 international students need to pay in addition tuition fees every semester: 1.500,00 Euro.

Here you can find more information about the new tuition fees for international students.

Which German language skills are required?

To be able to enroll for a Bachelor/Master program that is taught in German, you need proof of:
DSH or TestDAF with a result of at least DSH-2 or TestDAF 4x4x4x4. For the Master program “Wissenschaft, Medien und Kommunikation” it’s necessary to have DSH-3 for the application. Here you can find more information on the German language skills.

To enroll for a subject that is taught in English, you do not have to proof any knowledge of German (although it is helpful, if you want to study in Germany). To enroll for a Bachelor/Master that is taught in English you need:
the TOEFL test, or the IELTS (>6,5) or the UNIcert. Please check the requirements of the program you want to study to know exactly the needed level.

How to apply for a German language course?

To apply for the German language courses please choose this option while you fill in the application. Please take note that the deadline for this option is 15th January. We recommend to have the level B1-B2 and it’s necessary to pass an entrance exam. Please note that for our German course, the number of applicants usually exceed the number of places.

How to apply for the Studienkolleg?

You can find all the information about the Studienkolleg here.

Can I get a scholarship?

A central aspect of planning your studies in Karlsruhe is financing your studies. There are some charities and organizations where foreign students can apply for individual scholarships or grants. Please find more information here.

Where can I find more information (FAQ)?

You will also get answers on following link.

How do I find accommodation in Karlsruhe?

Pease follow this page to get more information about accommodation for students at KIT.

What is the latest information about the Corona situation?

Here you can find the latest information about Corona.