deutsch  | Home | Legals | Data Protection | KIT

International Students Office (IStO)

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Adenauerring 2
76131 Karlsruhe

Campus South
Bldg.: 50.20, Room 106

Phone +49 721 608-44911
Fax +49 721 608-44907
Contact Form

Opening hours Secretary
Mo.-Fr. 9 am-12 am
Closed on Tuesday

Currently only available via email or phone

Please also note the office hours of our individual employees

Pre-Arrival Guide (pdf)

Our guide has all the information you need to prepare your studies at KIT.

Mobility within the EU for the Purpose of Studying – EU Directive 2016/801

Regulations on mobility within the EU applying to students of non-EU nationality (third-country nationals) coming to the EU for the purpose of studying have been eased.

If you wish to study at KIT under an exchange program and have already been issued a residence permit for studies in another EU member state, you can come to study at KIT without having to apply for a visa for Germany. In this case, you have to submit additional documents to KIT. Then, KIT can apply for a confirmation for your stay here. Without this confirmation, you are not allowed to come to Germany for studies!

Mobility within the EU is facilitated under the following conditions (not valid for Great Britain, Ireland, and Denmark)1

  • Studies in an EU member state with a residence permit of this EU member state for the purpose of studies
  • Studies at KIT under an exchange program (ERASMUS, bilateral exchange program, double-degree program, etc.)
  • Studies at KIT for a maximum of 360 days
  • A residence permit of an EU member state that is valid for the duration of studies at KIT (if necessary, have the residence permit extended in due time before the mobility!)
  • - Submission of the additional documents to KIT at least 40 days prior to entering Germany.


Note: If the documents submitted are incomplete or the mobility conditions are not fulfilled, you are not permitted to come to KIT for studies!


Documents to be submitted:

Submit all documents in PDF format (original document and its translation into German in one PDF document) and name it with your family name and the document type: e.g. Family name_Pass.pdf. Submit the documents to mobility-rest∂

1. Completed notification form (Link)

  • Document title: Family Name_Mitteilungsformular.pdf
  • Information for completion:
  • Section 4: Name der Hochschuleinrichtung: Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT), Adresse des KIT: IStO, Adenauerring 2, D-76131 Karlsruhe
  • Zuständige Kontaktperson am KIT: Yvette Haas, phone: 0721/608 44917
  • Section 5: Zustelladresse: IStO, Adenauerring 2, D-76131 Karlsruhe

2. Copy of the residence permit of the EU member state (validity for the duration of the stay at KIT)

  • Document title: Family name_Aufenthaltstitel.pdf

3. Copy of the passport

  • Document title: Family name_Pass.pdf

4. Proof of financial resources in the amount of EUR 853 / month (Link)

  • You have to prove that you have EUR 853 for every month of your studies at KIT (i.e. EUR 5118 for six months).
  • Document title: Family name_Lebensunterhalt.pdf

5. Health insurance certificate (copy of EHIC)

  • Document title: Family name_KV.pdf

6. Admission letter

  • Document title: Family name_Zulassung.pdf


For information: The contact data of your contact person at KIT can be found in your admission documents. You will be informed by electronic mail as soon as your admission documents are available.




[1] If you study in Great Britain, Ireland or Denmark, you have to apply for an entry visa with the German embassy when you want to study at KIT. These EU member states do not take part in the simplified mobility scheme.