What do I need to know?

This is only possible with a rental contract, registration of residence and Tax Number (from the Tax Office).

Usually, the tax number will be sent to you by the Tax Office 14 days upon registration with the city.

To open a bank account, you will need your passport, registration with the city, admission letter/enrollment certificate, tax number. Most banks offer to have the account opened online in combination with PostIdent (at a post office). Complete the form online and go with your documents to a post office.

Where should I do this?

Many banks offer cost-free accounts for students. Inform yourself on their websites.