For more detailed information please have a look at our intern handbook available via the navigation on the left side.
KIT offers numerous opportunities for a research internship/placement, a research project, and/or a final thesis project.
As you might already know, KIT comprises a university and a research center.
As from the 2017/18 winter semester, international students (from third countries/non-EU countries) enrolled at the KIT have to pay tuition fees in the amount of EUR 1,500 per semester.*
International students, who come to the KIT for a research stay **, are exempted from the tuition fees, provided that they do not acquire any credit points (ECTS) at the KIT. ***
If you are interested in conducting research or executing a project at the KIT, you have to look for a potential supervisor at KIT on your own and contact him/her directly.
You can find further information and research internship offers at Jobs/Interns.
If you are interested in conducting research at one of our institutes of KIT’s research sector, please check KIT Departments and Institutes.
Of course, it is also possible to find interesting positions in both the university sector and the research sector of KIT.
Depending on your supervisor at KIT, it might be possible to do your research internship/thesis without German knowledge, but this is up to your supervisor.
Still, we advise applicants to have at least basic German knowledge, since it will be indispensable for the daily life and administrative procedures in Karlsruhe.
Preparing Your Arrival at KIT
After having found a supervisor, you have the possibility to enroll at KIT as a student. With an admission letter, you can apply for a student visa.
A visa for Germany is always issued for a specific purpose. Please note that without any enrollment, it will be illegal to stay in Germany with a student visa.
An enrollment is associated with many advantages. As a KIT student, you will be able to benefit from cheaper cafeteria rates, free library access, and cheaper public transportation tickets etc. We recommend enrollment for an internship of 2 months at least.
If you would like to enroll, please proceed as follows:
- Apply online at https://move.intl.kit.edu/move/moveonline/incoming/welcome.php?_language=en .You will have to choose the “mobility type” “Internship/Project/Thesis” and the “mobility program” “Internship/Placement”. Your “Faculty/Department,” “Field of Study,” and “Study Area” depend on your supervisor. Please ask him/her to which department and fields he/she is affiliated. The mobility period can be one or two semesters. You can find our semester dates at http://www.intl.kit.edu/istudies/3157.php.
- Once you have filled in the application, a PDF will be generated. Please print it out, sign it (we only need your signature, not that of your supervisor at home), and scan it.
- Send the following documents to internship∂intl.kit.edu:
- Scanned online application in PDF format,
- current enrollment certificate/ proof of enrollment from your home university,
- confirmation of supervision by your KIT supervisor.
Enrollment fees are147.70 € per semester.
Please note that enrollment fees are no tuition fees!
We do not need a passport photo or any other documents!
Within 1 to 3 weeks after the receipt of the application documents, we will send you your admission letter and further instructions by email. Please make sure to also check your spam folder.
After your arrival at KIT, you have to enroll.
- You should open a German bank account and transfer the semester contribution. You should have received instructions and the bank details for the transfer in an email together with your admission letter.
- You should see a German public health insurance (http://www.karlsruhe.de/b3/gesundheit/krankenkassen.de ) to either take out health insurance in Germany or to get a health insurance waiver. The expert at the health insurance will be able to help you with what to do.
- Fill in the form under http://www.intl.kit.edu/download/Antrag_auf_Einschreibung_fuer_Zeitstudierende.pdf.
- With the filled in form, your German health insurance certificate or waiver, a passport photo and your proof of the semester contribution payment, you should go to the International Students Office to start your enrollment paperwork (Monday, Wednesday or Friday; 9.30am to 11.30am).
* § 3 Landeshochschulgebührengesetz (LHGebG) Section 3 of the Act on Higher Education Fees of the State of Baden-Württemberg
** Forschungspraktikum/Forschungsaufenthalt, Research internship/Research stay
*** § 60 Abs. 1 Satz 7 LHG Section 60, par. 1, clause 7 of the Law of Baden-Württemberg on Universities and Colleges