deutsch  | Home | Legals | Data Protection | KIT

International Students Office (IStO)

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Adenauerring 2
76131 Karlsruhe

Campus South
Bldg.: 50.20, Room 106

Phone +49 721 608-44911
Fax +49 721 608-44907
Contact Form

Opening hours Secretary
Mo.-Fr. 9 am-12 am
Closed on Tuesday

Currently only available via email or phone

Please also note the office hours of our individual employees


Health insurance

Students at a public or publicly recognized higher education institution in Germany are in general insured under the compulsory health insurance scheme. In case a student takes a leave of absence to study abroad, the health insurance remains valid. If the student de-registers the compulsory insurance is terminated. However, the student has in general the possibility to take out a new, voluntary insurance with his former health insurance.

A voluntary insurance will not be necessary in case the student is insured under his parents or if he/she has the right to receive insurance support.

If a student remains insured under the compulsory health insurance scheme, the insurance is valid in all 27 EU member states as well as in Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland during a temporary stay abroad. Insurance proof is the EU health insurance card.

You can find further information on the website of the European Union.

However it is advisable to take out an additional insurance to cover transfer costs back home in case of an accident.

Please note that outside of the EU, the German health insurance is not valid. You should hence take out an additional private insurance.

You should also consider that most host universities have regulations concerning the minimum health insurance coverage and will offer adapted insurance packages. Please take care to check these offers, since it might be cheaper to take out insurance in Germany.

Last but not least, please note that a simple (and cheap) travel insurance will not cover you for the whole length of your stay. So please take care to take out an adequate health insurance.

Accident insurance

Students at higher education institutions in Germany are insured under the public accident insurance. The accident insurance cover is valid during studies within Germany, but abroad, only if the stay can be defined as “radiating” measures or events of the German home university abroad. In case the student is not insured under the public accident cover, the subscription of a private accident insurance should be considered.

Liability insurance

In some countries the questions of personable liability is taken very seriously. That is why every student going abroad should check the status of his liability insurance beforhand. Are you insured under your parents? Is the insurance valid abroad in your host country.
You can easily take out an additional insurance for your abroad stay. Compare the offer and you should be able to find a cheap option.