deutsch  | Home | Legals | Data Protection | KIT

International Students Office (IStO)

Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Adenauerring 2
76131 Karlsruhe

Campus South
Bldg.: 50.20, Room 106

Phone +49 721 608-44911
Fax +49 721 608-44907
Contact Form

Opening hours Secretary
Mo.-Fr. 9 am-12 am
Closed on Tuesday

Currently only available via email or phone

Please also note the office hours of our individual employees

Residency permit

Most students from non-EU countries(except, e.g. US and some other countries) will have to obtain a visa from the German embassy or consulate in their home country.

After your arrival in Germany, you should apply for a residence permit for studying purposes at the Foreigners Registration Office, if the visa in your passport is not valid for the whole duration of your stay or if you were able to enter without a visa. For this, you must arrange an appointment either by phone or e-mail. 

For the application at the Foreigners Registration Office, you should take the following documents:

  • a biometric passport picture
  • approval of registration with the City
  • certificate of health insurance
  • letter of admission
  • rental contract
  • valid passport
  • proof of subsistence in German
    (scholarship evidence, notarized financial certificate, including a certificate of sufficient financial means for the return flight; the requirement is about 853,- EUR per month)
  • fees (for a residence permit for 12 months: approx.-100€)

When your residence permit expires, you must apply for extension/renewal in time.

Ausländerbehörde Karlsruhe
Kaiserallee 8
76124 Karlsruhe
Tel.: 0721-133 3388
auslaenderbehoerdeVid2∂oa karlsruhe de
(only in German)

For information and/or appointments concerning Karlsruhe's public authorities you can call the hotline 115.

Please also visit