International Affairs


An ERASMUS student must meet certain requirements to complete a study abroad program at KIT:

  1. Partner University
    You must be enrolled at a partner university of KIT at the time of application and during your stay at KIT.
  2. Nomination
    You must have applied successfully at your home university for an exchange position at KIT, which means you have to be nominated for a exchange position at KIT.
  3. German skills (compulsory)
    You should demonstrate sufficient knowledge of the German language at time of application (June 1st or December 1st), since a large part of the lectures at KIT are in German. Applicants for chemical and mechanical engineering, chemistry, architecture, informatics and biology must have at least a B1 level according to the European Language Level Framework, all other applicants must demonstrate a minimum proficiency of German at A2 level.
  4. English skills (additionally)
    If you are planning on attending English taught lectures or write your final thesis at KIT in English, you should provide proof of good English knowledge, i.e. B1-level.


In exceptional cases, (only after approval of our departmental coordinator) you might be allowed to study at KIT only with proof of English knowledge.

However, without proof of German language we might reject your application and we highly recommend to learn German in order to be able to master your daily life in Karlsruhe.

You can check your German-Level with the Goethe-Institute Test or DUO.


Information regarding language certificates:

We accept most types of language certificates.

Accepted certificates are:

  • issued by your home university or
  • issued by a language school

We will not accept a simple language course attendance certificate that does not state whether you completed the course successfully or not or online (test) certificates.