Local Registration

Registration with the local Residents´ Registration Office (Einwohnermeldeamt) is mandatory for every person moving into a house or flat in Germany.
The registration has to be made within a week after entering the country with the office responsible for the area in which you live.

The IScO offers the service of registering with the responsible Residents´ Registration Offices on your behalf if you live in the following communities:

  • City district of Karlsruhe
  • Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen
  • Linkenheim-Hochstetten
  • Stutensee

In case you do not live directly in Karlsruhe, IScO will be able to tell you the correct office.

In general, the registration forms and procedures are the same for Germans and foreign nationals.
For a registration the following documents are needed:

  • Passport
  • Rental agreement
  • Completed registration form (available at the office)

On the registration form you will be asked about your religious faith. The reason for this is that in Germany religious communities are entitled to use the services of the Tax Office to collect the so-called `Church Tax´ (Kirchensteuer). To find out more about the Church Tax please see the section on taxation.

After your registration has been processed you will receive the so-called `Meldebescheinigung´ which confirms that you are officially registered. You should keep this document in a safe place, as it will be needed for other purposes such as opening a bank account or applying for a residence permit etc.


Transferring / Cancelling Registration

If your move within or to one of the communities mentioned above inform us accordingly so we can inform the Resident's Registration Office on your behalf as well as the responsible division of KIT's human resources department.

If you move to a community not mentioned above you will have to inform the community you move to by yourself. However, we strongly recommend to inform us anyway in order to brief the responsible division of KIT's human resources department.