Financial information

Financing your stay

The living costs in Karlsruhe add up to about 700 EUR per month including rent - depending on your personal lifestyle. You can find further information on the living costs at (Website only in German) Besides an employment contract a research stay at the KIT can also be financed by scholarships for which you apply in your home country or in Germany.

When applying for a visa or residence permit visiting researchers will have to prove to the authorities that their income is sufficient to cover their stay financially.

This proof of income may consist of :

  • most recent checking or savings account statements
  • letter of grant (award of scholarship)
  • most recent salary statements
  • invitation of the Karlsruhe institute and employment contract of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) mentioning the length of the stay, position and salary amount
  • contract of an institution in your home country, if this institution will finance the visit
  • declaration of commitment by a third party who intends to cover the costs for the visit

Additional documents might be required in individual cases.



The Research in Germany portal from the Federal Ministry of Education and Reseach provides an overview of the research and funding opportunities.

You will find a comprehensive overview of possible scholarships of German institutions for visiting researchers in the Database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and in the Funding Database of EURAXESS Germany. Please also take a look at these websites for further information.

Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)

The DFG is Germany's largest research funding organisation. Apart from further information you will find a big selection of funding programs on their website.


Alexander von Humboldt Foundation


The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is a nonprofit foundation for funding international cooperations in research. On their website you will find a search function for possible scholarships.




EURAXESS Germany is an information and advice point of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation for international researchers. On the website they have a Funding Database for different scholarships.

For additional information, please visit:


German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)


The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) is a nonprofit institution of German Universities. On their website you will find a Scholarship Database.