The living costs in Karlsruhe add up to about 700 EUR per month including rent - depending on your personal lifestyle. You can find further information on the living costs at UNICUM.de (Website only in German) Besides an employment contract a research stay at the KIT can also be financed by scholarships for which you apply in your home country or in Germany.
When applying for a visa or residence permit visiting researchers will have to prove to the authorities that their income is sufficient to cover their stay financially.
This proof of income may consist of :
- most recent checking or savings account statements
- letter of grant (award of scholarship)
- most recent salary statements
- invitation of the Karlsruhe institute and employment contract of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) mentioning the length of the stay, position and salary amount
- contract of an institution in your home country, if this institution will finance the visit
- declaration of commitment by a third party who intends to cover the costs for the visit
Additional documents might be required in individual cases.
The Research in Germany portal from the Federal Ministry of Education and Reseach provides an overview of the research and funding opportunities.
You will find a comprehensive overview of possible scholarships of German institutions for visiting researchers in the Database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and in the Funding Database of EURAXESS Germany. Please also take a look at these websites for further information.
Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG)
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation
For additional information, please visit:
- Scholarship Pilot of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (only in German)
- Ministry of Science, Research and Arts Baden-Wuerttemberg (only in German)
- German National Academic Foundation
- Association of German Foundations
- Association for the promotion of young talent
German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)