Students, who wish to study abroad in a foreign country for a limited period of time, can apply for the abroad BAföG.
The prerequisite for this is usually the BAföG qualification in Germany. In exceptional cases, students who do not have BAföG qualification in Germany might still receive funding.
The abroad BAföG includes the following:
- Payment of the required tuition fees (up to 4,600 EURO per academic year)
- Aid for travel expenses
- If necessary, an addition amount for the cost of health insurance abroad.
- Outside the EU Member States, a abroad supplement, the amount shall be fixed by country (monthly between 60 EUR and 450 EUR) to cover the increased cost of living
For more information please visit the website of the BAföG-offices.
* BAföG is the Bundesausbildungsförderungsgesetz which is the Federal Training Assistance Act and a synonym for student loans in Germany.
Studienförderung Auslandssemester (Deutsche Bildung AG)
Students who cannot receive Abroad-BAföG or who only receive an unsufficient amount can apply for the Studienförderung Auslandssemester. No application deadlines.
The Studienförderung Auslandssemester may include:
- Monthly amount (between 100 and 1.000€, for min. of 4 months) to help cover living and study expenses
- Additional aids, for instance for tuition fees or flight expenses.
For more information please visit the website of the Deutsche Bildung AG