Home | deutsch  | Legals | Data Protection | KIT

Health Insurance

While living in Germany, you are obliged by law to have a health insurance for yourself and your accompanying family members. Proof of sufficient health insurance coverage is needed in order to obtain a residence permit or to conclude an employment contract for example.

We strongly recommend to contact IScO before your stay in Germany to discuss the completion of a health insurance contract especially if you are eligible to take up a private health insurance. To make sure you are insured the first few days of your stay it may be advisable to bring sufficient insurance coverage from your home country for this purpose.



Types of health insurances

There are two types of health insurances in Germany: statutory health insurances and private health insurances. Which one you ought to select is hinged on your contractual status. If you have an employment contract with Karlsruhe Institute of Technology you are subject to statutory German National Health Care. If your stay is based on a fellowship, you can subscribe to a private insurance only.

If your annual gross salary exceeds a certain amount you may choose to become a member of the German National Health Care System or conclude a private health insurance. If your income is below the limit for private health insurances, it is mandatory to become a member of the German National Health Care System.

Please contact the IScO to discuss the best option for you and your family.